Friday, October 09, 2009

George Earle: A Retrospective

Wild Card

George Earle: A Retrospective
(October 8 - October 31)

George F. Earle is 95 years old and still painting with the same passion for his craft that emerged when producing his first oil painting at age eight. Delavan Art Gallery is pleased to honor this accomplished artist and his creative legacy through a retrospective curated by his family. The display in the gallery’s Wild Card space opens with a reception from 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm on Thursday, October 8, and remains up through Saturday, October 31.

Throughout George Earle’s adventurous life, he has managed to combine his love of painting with his passion for skiing and urge to write. In his early years growing up in New Bedford, MA, the pursuit of artistic studies coupled with the desire to experience better snow conditions brought him to Syracuse University to the undergraduate art school that remains one of the oldest in the country, and to the hills of Upstate New York that allowed him plenty of opportunity to ‘hit the slopes.’
Back then, Earle started the University’s first ski team, and many years later, he would return to that campus to teach design and art history before moving on to SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, School of Landscape Architecture where he now holds the title of Professor Emeritus. 


During the years between 1933 and today, Earle traveled an exciting journey. In 1937, he was awarded a Tiffany Foundation Fellowship and spent the next year painting in Mexico. In 1941, the day after Pearl Harbor, Earle interrupted his advanced studies at Yale to enlist in the army, where for four years he served as an instructor and coach of the great 1944 10th Mountain Division ski team. After the war, he returned to SU to teach art and direct what was, at the time, the largest ski school in the country.

Throughout his journeys, Earle continued to paint whatever subject was at hand and would later publish books visually documenting his adventures, both with palette and written words. In The Road Less Traveled, Earle recounts his escapades in Mexico, while Birth of a Division takes the reader through the first operation that established the 10th Mountain Division as an important part of the U. S. military force that remains so today.

Following are the artist’s comments on three of the paintings included in Delavan’s display. Of “Mexican Caretaker,” Earle says: “In Mexico, I rented a small house complete with a maid who slept on the front step and did my cooking and laundry. It is among the many paintings I sent home that year.” He says “Water Under The Bridge” was painted in New England and adds, “the stream crossing, dark with pine trees, shows the complicated patterns of water in it’s eddies and turns.”


The painting, “Clark Reservation” was done first as a quick sketch to show his Landscape Architecture class ‘a few tricks’ when brought there to paint from the reservation’s natural scenes. “Later, I enlarged and developed the sketch,” Earle says. “I was particularly interested in the snake like tree trunks and beams of light through the trees.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have (1) George Earle "Camp Hale 50th Anniversary" portfolio of 12 print images - limited edition of 1500 sets, 10th Mountain division Reunion at Vale CO, Sept., 1992 av ailable for sale. Would you be interested or do you know anyone who would be ilnterested in this item?
Please contact me:
Gordon C. Pine
Woodstock Vermont
gcmkpine@aol.com

Unknown said...

Wonderful biography of a remarkable man and remarkable artistry. I know this is now over a dozen years after the fact, but I so appreciate finding this profile and illustration of his art, as I recently learned my parents were friends of he and his wife from their skiing in Upstate New York and going back to my mother having attended Syracuse Univ studying art at about the same time.

Gretchen said...

Wonderful to read this. As George’s step daughter, I cherish the few paintings that have come to me through his & my mother’s marriage. He was a joy to be around. A great spirit filled with laughter & wit. On trips to visit me & my husband in Boise, he painted beautifully realistic (as always) scenes of this state. One is from the east end of Redfish Lake looking west into the Sawtooth Mtns. It is so exact that a mountain climbing friend of ours was able to trace his climbing route from the picture. Another was painted in the Boise foothills when he was on his way to visit Morely Nelson (he beat the drum to establish The Birds of Prey area along the Snake River) who was his friend & comrade of many years from the 10th Mtn Division in WWII. That painting too captures the realism & stark beauty of these sage brush canyons and mesas as a summer storm rolls through. I believe that some day, George will be a famous American painter. I am humbled to have shared precious years with him.

Gretchen

Unknown said...

Gretchen, I am so glad to see your comments. I am currently engaged in researching the history of the 10th Mountain Division, the unit that your stepdad, Major George Frederic Earle, served in through the war period, 1941 through 1945 culminating in the stunning Italian campaign, before he returned to civilian life and live as a painter, and continue the adventure that his life certainly was.

I am specifically doing this through the lens of your stepdad's art and writings, since he was, as perhaps you know, considered the historian of the 10th Mountain Division as well as a wonderful artist, as I learned from that research, a wonderful trove of which is diligently maintained at the Denver Public Library Archives, who I have been in touch with to schedule a visit of that material.

I was also extremely pleased to find that the remarkable book that Major Earle authored, ‘The History of the 87 Mountain Infantry’, which was subsequently renamed to the 10th Mountain Division, which contained many of his sketches and an incredible personal narrative of that experience. I didn’t know if you were aware of that book as I would provide sources to obtain a copy, even first editions are available from the book seller. I would very much like to share material my research has and will uncover with you.

Forgive me for rambling on a bit, but I so very much hope this reaches you and that we might continue the discussion, since this post is relaxed enough for me to include my email, please contact me, if I may ask: john@softgoods.net

Tim said...

Gretchen, I too am a fan of your stepdad George Earle, and have two of his paintings hanging on my wall. My grandfather was a professor at Syracuse university and friend to George; and my mother and Father attended and met at Syracuse University and knew him.
I am curious to know if any of his family is tracking his artwork, and would like to be aware of the two paintings I have? I am also curious if the paintings might show up in his records, if any. One of them is undated, and I would love to know when it was painted.
If you are interested, or can put me in touch with other members of his family who might be interested, you may contact me at tbclapp@yahoo.com.