Saturday, October 10, 2009

Christine Chansamone, Intern

Hey! My name is Christine and I am an intern at the Delavan Art Gallery. My work with the gallery began in September of this year. I made my way to Syracuse, NY via an education at Syracuse University. Growing up in a lower middle class suburb of southern California, there weren’t any galleries or museums in the immediate area for me check out. The community did not support the arts, and the arts programs in school were severely under funded. When there’s something you can’t have, you want it all the more, and thus I came to SU to learn art and music history in the College of Arts and Sciences. During this time I began to learn about the subjects I had not been thoroughly exposed to. At SU I was able to attend frequent gallery exhibits, recitals and orchestral performances on and off campus. I began to imagine that if I could get some experience volunteering or interning at a gallery, museum or performance arts space, I could possibly make a career out of supporting the arts.

Upon graduating from SU in December, I began looking for opportunities in Syracuse to learn more about supportive roles for the arts. I gained a position in the Dean’s Office for the College of Visual and Performing Arts at SU where I have been able to make many contacts in the field and learn more about the arts community within Syracuse. My favorite part about Syracuse is how artistically rich the city is. There are so many artists and organizations working in this city, and so many opportunities to learn from them.

I have worked with TH3, Arts Covenant, Westcott Theatre and now the Delavan Art Gallery. This is the first exhibition space I have worked with. I have learned a tremendous amount from the awesome staff here in the short amount of time since I’ve come on board. I enjoy every minute spent here because I am constantly learning or being entertained by our conversations with the each other and the exhibiting artists.

I have had the opportunity to hang and light multiple exhibitions. The hands on experiences have been priceless. Bill and Caroline are an encouraging and patient team when it comes to teaching the interns how to properly hang and light exhibitions. They always make sure to let us know what rules to follow and what tricks to use.

It’s not all work here at the gallery though. Doggie breaks are always welcomed, and Monty, Caroline’s dog, is always sure to be cute and silly on call. We also welcome chocolate breaks. You are sure to always find some kind of cookie, cake or chocolate treat in the kitchen!

Everyone at the Delavan Art Gallery has been very warm and inviting. I feel as if I have known these people forever, and it only adds to the fun! For anyone thinking of interning with the gallery, I would highly recommend it. The experience is absolutely wonderful.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome to Syracuse, Christine. I too appreciate the amazing arts community here in the city. We have so much for such a small place. I'm actually planning on checking out Delevan for the first time tonight. Th3 is a great time to get out and explore.

Cheers!