Friday, June 12, 2009

Return to Delavan


(Left: Ryan Petrus, Right: Kathy Simpson)


Hello everyone, my name is Ryan Petrus and I am the new intern here at the Delavan for this summer. I just finished my senior year at SUNY Purchase where I majored in photography, but I have to return next semester to finish up two required classes. My goal for next year is to return to the NYC and find a job working in either a gallery or assisting an advertising photographer. For the future, I plan to take some time to travel and work, to pay off student loans and then eventually return to school to get my MFA.

I am really no stranger to the Delavan. I have been making work in this building for years in my teacher’s studio and have been a regular visitor to the gallery since I was in high school. I originally attended Onondaga Community College for my first two years of college. Working here is nice because I get to see a lot of my old teachers’ art hanging in the gallery and see them stop in from time to time.

Since I started interning here, I have had the experience to travel out to two of our artist’s houses to pick out work for our upcoming show. I have learned how to properly hang and display artwork in a gallery setting, along with properly wrapping and organizing the art we keep in storage. Caroline, Delavan’s gallery manager, has showed me how to use the software Masterpiece to keep all of our art organized. Reggie, the man who keeps this place standing, has showed me how to maintain a gallery and the actual amount of work it takes to keep it running and working properly. Working at the Delavan and having the experience to meet other artists has enlightened me on how a gallery works and functions. I have made a lot of friends and met a bunch of artists who have made this experience fun and influential.

No comments: