Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hi! My name is Jessica and I am a senior Art History and Psychology major at Syracuse University. I have been interning here at Delavan Art Gallery since January and as I am finishing up my experience, I thought it would be appropriate to reflect upon what I have learned. When I originally applied to work at the gallery, my expectations were comparable to past internships in the art world. I expected typical intern jobs that only gave you a glimpse of what the career truly entails. Since day one, every day at Delavan is a new experience whether it be designing the layout of a show, visiting an artist in their home, or comtemplating new ways to improve what already seems flawless. Most importantly, I have enjoyed getting to know the local artists from the area and widening my knowledge of the Syracuse art scene. I have had the opportunity to pursue an internship at a gallery in London, but what I have learned through my experiences here has been so much more beneficial. I have never encountered a group of people with such dedication and passion for what they do and who honestly care about your opinion. Through this experience, I realize I am more able and ready to leave college behind and enter the job market. If it weren't for these past few months I wouldn't feel as secure in my decision to pursue this career and I am very thankful to my mentors Caroline, Courtney, and Mr. Delavan.

No comments: